Worst of the Week: Your Lame Name Badge

by AdMavericks on January 22, 2010

Now before I get into this, I’ll let you know that Justin Brady is my pal. I like the guy. I don’t always agree with what he says, but that’s what makes him interesting. He’s well aware that I am posting this, in fact he even sent me the picture. Guess he wants the traffic, so here goes…

Have you met Justin Brady? I first met him at Highlight Midwest in Des Moines a few months ago. He was wearing this:

Now, if you’ve met Brady, you’ve undoubtedly seen this name badge fastened to his chest.

Now Brady will most likely argue that by wearing this, it makes him memorable. Look, I can do things that make me memorable too, but looking like the bell hop at the Hilton is not one of them. When I see Brady wearing this, I want to hand him my luggage.

Brady will also argue that this hotel reference is a take on his company’s “high level of service,” he might even throw in the word “concierge” – I’m not buying it.

Now, I don’t really have a problem with Brady wearing this thing to the Central Iowa Bloggers meeting or to Des Moines Tweet Ups. These kinds of name badges have their place. My issues is when he wears it to La Hacienda on Ingersoll during lunch with me. I mean, I know your name, Brady. Can you imagine waking up every morning, and grabbing a “Hello My Name is ______” sticker and putting it on your chest? When we went to lunch the other day, he opened the door for me…I actually thought about tipping him!

Brady wears this thing like a scared fraternity pledge. Is he worried about getting hazed if he doesn’t wear the pin? What does his wife think of all of this? Maybe he’s waiting to lavaliere her. I can see him settling in at home, putting on his robe and attaching his name badge to the front as he checks in on Foursquareoff the grid” and snuggles up with his iPhone.

Maybe Brady should take a hint from Rich Drake over at Tweetup Badges. Tell you what Brady, I’ll buy you one of the $5 varieties if you retire the bellhop look.

Brady: Thanks for your sense of humor on what was a fairly light week for worst of the week candidates.

Everyone else: The scary thing about posting this blog post is that Brady will now never give up the name badge and this post solidifies its overall value for him. For that, I apologize.

Congrats Justin Brady, your lame name badge is Worst of the Week!

Author: AdMavericks
www.lessingflynn.com

add to del.icio.us :: Add to Blinkslist :: add to furl :: Digg it :: add to ma.gnolia :: Stumble It! :: add to simpy :: seed the vine :: :: :: TailRank :: post to facebook

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Justin Brady January 22, 2010 at 11:47 am

That brady character sounds like a real dork. Seriously, wearing a hand made name badge? At least he has big biceps carrying all those companies design baggage…. ;-)

fishingpoet January 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

A poem in response to this name badge…

Titled:
Does anyone else see a knife?

I'm reminded of Psycho-
screeching strings
knife-glint
and shower curtain-
your name carved
in the unsuspecting

Pete Jones January 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Josh, his influence was The NameTag Guy who spoke to us at the YPIowa Conference this year. Check him out. Scott Ginsberg is his name. He has made a brand out of wearing a nametag, complete with nametag tattoo. He has been wearing a nametag for near 3 years at every point, thus the tattoo. @nametagscott on Twitter.

Also, true to form, Justin wore the nametag last night at the Partnerships Annual Dinner.

Pete Jones January 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

And, what I forgot to say in the last comment (hey it's Friday) was it is obviously working for Brady. It obviously got your attention, mine too.

Justin Brady January 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I actually was wearing that name tag LONG before I ever heard of Scott Ginsberg. I was just happy to hear his research confirming my name-tag-awesomeness.

Fishingpoet, the name tag is a play off a sundial, and clock at the same time. I like the knife idea though, we do cut to the heart when it comes to design. ;-)

Claire Celsi January 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I like Justin's name badge. I think this post was insulting to him. (Josh is my friend, so I know he will take this as I meant it, constructive criticism)

I do have a suggestion for anyone who is at a networking event, whether or not you're wearing a name tag.

Give people verbal clues who you are whether or not you're wearing a name tag. Start up a conversation by saying, "Hi, my name is…I know we've met before. Tell me again what you're up to"…. That way it gives the person a chance to reintroduce themself to not only to you but to others who might be within earshot.

Justin's name badge is a conversation starter. For the first five times I met him, if it hadn't been for his name badge, I wouldn't have recognized him (I blame my aging brain) or remembered his name.

It does not bother me one bit that he wears it.

fishingpoet January 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

You're consistent, stand by your medium and have plenty of work.
Win, win, win.
And you have a sense of humor… win again.

Keep on keepin' on.

Pete Jones January 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Amen, Fishingpoet – Brady is an inspiration.

joshuafleming January 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the comments folks.

@Pete – I've invited Scott Ginsberg to comment here – we'll see if he drops by.

@fishingpoet – You're off to a good start on your role as "commenting poet"

@claire – Yes, I appreciate the constructive criticism. : )

It doesn't bother me that Brady wears his name tag either. Justin knows that we're clearly joking around and that his name tag has been the default "worst of the week" for months. I think Justin views this as tongue & cheek humor, if he didn't I am sure he would have let me know. Also, I wouldn't have posted this without his permission.

Like I said at the end of the post, Brady and his name tag will become all that more memorable.

Smiles around on this one. : )

Viper January 25, 2010 at 9:49 am

Name badges are fine-at events. Hell I can hardly remember the names of people I work with. But I make an effort at that. A name badge at lunch, sitting across from a friend? Pffffft. Why not wear a hat with a flashing billboard display so people will know what you do who you are and ask you to do some work for them. Sorry folks-the badge may be OK at a meeting. But otherwise? Sheesh-lose the badge.

Rich Drake January 25, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for the mention and offer to buy Justin a Tweetup Badge.
I know Justin and believe that having a Tweetup Badge would not stop him from sporting his name badge. At this point it is part of who he is. Lets face it, Justin is trying to build a brand and get his name out there. If his one of a kind name badge gets people talking about him then I say it's working.
Good for you Justin, good for you.

Rich

Amy January 26, 2010 at 10:54 am

I sort of think that if you have a good body of work, let it speak for itself. That sort of gimmick gives me a chuckle but would possibly make me take the person less seriously. I would get a kick out of eating lunch with him though and getting funny looks. ; ) If it works for him then he should work it I suppose!